The show is centered around the O'Neals, an Irish Catholic family who, after several secret come out must adapt and learn to accept each other. The O'Neal family continues its journey of self discovery and growth, resulting from Kenny coming out and his parent, Eileen and Pat, getting a divorce, as they explore new relationships, friendships and acceptance of one another in the next, messier chapter of their lives.
On May 11, 2017, ABC cancelled the series after two seasons.
- Martha Plimpton as Eileen O'Neal, a Catholic matriarch who is determined to keep her family holy.
- Jay R. Ferguson as Pat O'Neal, a Chicago Police Department officer who is getting a divorce.
- Noah Galvin as Kenny O'Neal, a 16-year-old who reveals to his family that he is gay.
- Matt Shively as Jimmy O'Neal, an athletic 17-year-old wrestler who reveals to be anorexic.
- Bebe Wood as Shannon O'Neal, a 14-year-old who has admitted to stealing from the church fund that she was put in charge of in order to buy a car and is questioning her faith.
- Mary Hollis Inboden as Jodi O'Neal, Pat's ex-sister-in-law.